Parish History Until Present

1924

Our history began when Father Jim Walsh from Liverpool parish believed that Fairfield should have its own Church. Therefore he assisted in building Our Lady of the Rosary Church. The Foundation Stone was blessed and laid by His Grace Archbishop Kelly. The Church officially opened in October.

1933-1945

Parish of Guildford under Father Harrington was extended to include Fairfield area. Father Harrington became parish priest of Guildford/Fairfield area. Classrooms were built for the Convent school and managed by the two sisters of St. Joseph, Srs Flora and Fabian.

1946-1955

Father Patrick Cunningham joined as the first priest of Fairfield Parish.He was responsible for the following developments in the parish:Extension of the Convent school. Building and ongoing extension of Patrician Brothers’ school.

  • Introduction of Housie
  • Building new Presbytery
  • Extension of the Church

1956-1969

Reverend Father Martin Prendergast replaced Father Patrick Cunningham. Father Prendergast was involved in the following developments:

  • Building of Rosary Hall
  • New secondary school for Our Lady of the Rosary
  • New convent for the sisters of St. Joseph

1970-1983

Father Thomas Crotty replaced Father Prendergast. He lifted the tone of the Church by providing a comfortable atmosphere for his parishioners to adore and converse with God. In 1982 our current parish priest Father Raymond Gatt joined Father Crotty as Curate and remained until 1984.

1984-1989

Father Dougherty replaced Father Crotty. Father Dougherty was a gentle and quiet priest who displayed his love for the historical in almost every person.

1990-2001

Father Dougherty left and Father Raymond Gatt returned as our parish priest. The following are some of the many developments that took place under the guidance of Father Gatt:

  • Building Rosary village
  • Expansion of Patrician Brothers’ College
  • Building Mary McKillop College at Wakeley

2001-2003

Father Raymond Gatt left and Father Thanh Nguyen was installed as our parish priest.Father Thanh was a very nice and gentle person. He loved the Parish of Fairfield so much and had help a lot of parishioners in many ways.The following are some of the many developments that took place under the guidance of Father Thanh:

  • Mass computerization with the assistance of IT Ministry Team.
  • Introduction of Vietnamese Mass
  • Re-opening of Age Child Care Facilities

2003-2004

Father Thanh was appointed to the Seminary and Father Jason Camilleri from the Parish of St Charles, Ryde was appointed as our new Parish Administrator for 12 months. The Archdiocese of Sydney informed the Parish that they could no longer appoint an assistant priest to the parish due to the declining number of priests.

2004-2007

Fr Jason was appointed Parish Priest.

  • New sponsorship of Before and After School Care to YMCA.
  • OLR Primary School expansion and redevelopment
  • Begins planning for a new Parish site plan
  • Pastoral Planning
  • Youth Program and Activities
  • Parish Based Sacramental Program
  • Extension of the Church
  • Sets up bereavement group
  • Introduces structural RCIA program

2007

Fr Martin has been appointed Parish Administrator.

2007

Fr Terry Bell has been appointed Parish Priest.

The new parish site has begun and will aim to complete by the end of the year.

Back to Home